Hawk's Nest Trip

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Today was the second grade class trip to Hawk's Nest State Park.  Every child had to have a parent go along, so I went.  I was initially not thrilled with the idea since I am not very outdoorsy, but it was pretty fun.
 The first thing on our Hawk's Nest Agenda was to ride the tram down to the bottom of the New River Gorge.  I had kind of pictured a tram as something more like a bus, so this was a welcome surprise!
   
   

When we got to the bottom, the kids had some time to look around and visit the nature center.  Then it was time for a speed boat ride down the New River to the New River Gorge Bridge!  That was fun! Emily and Ashton rode in the very front seats and I rode in the very back.  But all seats had a great view and the ride was great!
  
New River Gorge Bridge - longest single span steel arch bridge in North America
After the river ride, it was time for a short hike.  The kids liked seeing the water falls, looking down on the river and just generally running all over the trails.
After our tramming, boating and hiking, it was time for lunch!  We could have packed picnics, but instead a bunch of us loaded up cars and drove into Fayetteville to go to Pies-N-Pints for pizza and playground time.  The kids had a blast playing and the grown ups enjoyed spending time together catching up and just talking.  Not the world's most educational field trip, but it sure was fun.
Ashton, Emily and Madison and a whole lot of pizza
Madison, Emily & Gracie with their caterpillars.

Emily and her teacher, Ms. Vencill on the tram.