January 7, 2022
Well, this is not how I wanted to start the new year. We were all set to leave town for Emily's 13th (now 14th) birthday party at the Greenbrier when I woke up with a runny nose. After some prodding from a couple of other moms going on the trip, I decided to take a home test to prove that I was fine to go. Until the test came back positive. I was completely shocked. I had no other symptoms, and my nose wasn't even all that runny. No fever or cough or fatigue or loss of taste and smell - nothing. But that meant that the birthday party at The Greenbrier was off for the second time and Emily and I were off to the health department for PCR testing.
Unfortunately, the PCR tests were a disaster. On Sunday night, the health department called and asked for the parent of Laurie Miller. I thought that was odd, but they went on to tell me that Emily tested positive for Covid. Well, it turned out the next day when I was able to log in and see the actual results, that they had my name on the result, but Emily's birthday. Emily's test had her name and another birthday. The whole thing was messed up to the point that both of our results had to be amended for the correct birthdates, but in the end I was positive, but Emily wasn't. That didn't matter too much though because she and I both had to quarantine for 5 days. I had to wear my mask all over the house and eat and sleep in different rooms than Daniel and Emily. On day 5, Emily was re-tested at home - negative - so she went back to school, but we both had to wear masks for 5 more days...including me around the house. Her second PCR was also negative so on day 10 we were finally back to normal and both Daniel and Emily got through without getting it from me! YAY!
Wow - what a start to the new year. It has to get better from here, right????