As I sit here at the end of July wondering where the first half of the summer went, I am so glad I have this blog to look back and remind me that we actually didn't miss the entire summer. This summer has been exceptionally busy with work and camps and family stuff that it seems like we just got out of school. It was really nice to be able to celebrate July 4 at home with our friends.
We started the day with Abby and Josie coming over to play for the afternoon while Molly and I worked on our scrapbook projects. Then later that evening we did a big cookout complete with burgers, hot dogs, sour cream potatoes, watermelon and corn on the cob! Then for dessert we had festive brownies and chocolate dipped rice krispie treats.
After dinner it was time for the Fourth of July festivities! While it was still light out, we started with water guns and a water balloon fight! They sell these great sets of water balloons where you hook up one nozzle to the hose and it fills 100 balloon. When they get full, they pop off and tie themselves off. I swear, where were these when I was a kid and it took like 10 minutes to fill one balloon and then while you were tying it off, it would pop. 2018 is an awesome time to be a kid.
After they tired of the water they hit the playground and trampoline for a bit. Good old fashioned summer fun.
Then before it got dark we got out the fireworks that have the parachute men that come out...
...and the boxes of poppers.
Then when the sun went down, it was time for sparklers and fireworks! This was the first year Emily wasn't afraid of the sparklers. Finally!