Louisville Skating Competition

Saturday,  November 10, 2018

This was Emily's first competition since Troy in July.  She took a little break from competition after the rink being closed for most of the summer and then she wanted some time to focus on her USFS moves test (which of course paid off).  This was also going to be the last competition for her Epcot Illuminations freeskate music.  Finally, this competition was also significant in that it was the first one she skated under the new Excel format.  USFS is moving more toward the IJS system of judging so the requirements for her freeskate changed this time around.  She had to add half-ice footwork,for  example.

We started the day with compulsory moves.  She got a new routine for this because it also required new half-ice footwork.  Her coach,  Heidi, can her some pretty tough footwork and she struggled with it quite a bit initially, but by the time today rolled around she was ready.  She skated great and I felt like  I could really see her starting to apply the good body control and form she had worked on all summer at her camps.  And when the results came in, she was first!  She won gold!

     

With a little wind in her sails, it was time for jumps.  She has been working hard on her form and technique on her jumps, in part because she is still struggling to get her axel so these are the only jumps she can compete.  But, all the better because she is forced to make these jumps as strong as possible while she works to move up.  She skated her jumps very well too.  Nice clean landings and good form and ended up in second place!  She was thrilled!

Then it was time for her freeskate.  I really have enjoyed this program and this music.  It really suited her well and even before she skated, I was already starting to miss it.  But, on with the show.  She skated probably the best I had seen her skate this program which must have felt really good to her.  And she was lucky enough to skate last in her group (although she prefers to be first).  And when the results came in, she tied for first!  Another gold!  She hadn't gotten a gold in freeskate since Skate Pittsburgh last spring (and it was the last skate to Princess Diaries too).  She was sooo excited!
  

Then we had a break for lunch and it was time to go back for Showcase.  This was supposed to be her last time to skate Mr. Popper too, but I have said that before and she still wants to skate it.  I mean I do love penguins after all so it is hard to say no.  During warm up for this program, she had a little incident.  She went to do her favorite penguin tummy slide and caught her leg on the back of her blade.  She tore her black leggings and was  bleeding a little.  We got her a band-aid, patted her on the head and sent her back out to skate.  She gave the show her usual drama and flair and was able to beat out four other skaters to claim the bronze.  She was happy with that as the group was probably one of the largest she skated against.
   

After an amazingly successful day at the rink, the whole Charleston Figure Skating Club crew headed out to dinner at Macaroni Grill.  We had a big group reservation and it was really fun!

Later, back at the hotel, I finally got the chance to assess her warm-up injury and oh boy was I in for a surprise.  She really did a number on her little leg.  Of course it didn't stop her from heading straight to the pool for a swim.
This was a super fun weekend.  As a post-script, I  can tell you that winning these medals this weekend has renewed her love of skating and her desire to get her axel.  She has been jumping and spinning allllll over our house.  Maybe, just maybe, Santa will give her an axel  for Christmas this year.