Daniel ended up getting Friday after Christmas off - YAY! So we left pretty early that morning for Martinsburg to see the Miller side of the family. We were really anxious to see Grandma, in particular, since we (or at least Emily and I) had not seen her since she began her lymphoma treatments. While most of her hair was gone and she had lost quite a bit of weight, I thought she looked terrific and definitely handled the onslaught of Christmas company like a total champ. Go Grandma! Her last scan showed no more cancer so here's to hoping she officially kicked cancer's proverbial butt!!
Anyway - we mostly hung out on Friday afternoon and evening waiting for all the cousins to arrive and we didn't have to wait long. About an hour after we arrived, Charles, Alison, Everett and Griffin arrived and then about an hour after them, Laura, Andy and Jacob arrived. By dinner time it was a full house! And now that I am sitting here typing this, I really really wish I would have taken a group photo around the table (tables, actually, since there were 12 of us).
Saturday morning we were up and out pretty early to go to Westminster Canterbury to see Great-Grandma Miller and Great-Grandma Gamble. Both are really getting on in years, but hanging in there pretty well. Grandma Gamble did not really know who we were I don't think, but she gave pleasant hellos to all of us. Then she was ready to return to her room. Grandma Miller did a little better. I think she knew who most of us were and we spent some time talking with her before taking the kids for ice cream to give Daniel, Charles and Laura some time with her. It was really nice to be able to visit with both of them, even if only briefly.
About lunch time we headed back home, grabbed a quick lunch and then it was time for MORE presents. Emily's favorite gifts included Nintendo Labo, a new Lilly Pulitzer poncho, a Nintendo Switch case and game, another Pusheen stuffed friend and a pile of gift cards to her favorite stores.
As for the grown-ups, I can't even begin to describe what everyone got, but what I can say is that there were a whole lot of smiles and laughter in the room that day and everyone seemed to just enjoy being together. It was a really great afternoon and we were definitely counting our blessings that we ALL got to be together this year. And, while I may not have a great group shot, I did manage to get everyone into some pictures. Next year, a group shot for sure. #familygoals