Emily was really into Halloween and trick-or-treat this year. In August, a catalog came with a bunch of great costumes in it. I let Emily look through the pictures and help pick her costume. As soon as we got to the mermaid costume, that was it. She wanted to be a mermaid. The costume arrived in early September and she was dying to wear it...everywhere...all the time. I was concerned that she would rip it or otherwise destroy it before Halloween so we only saved it to wear only a few special times before Halloween. (Now it lives in the dress-up caddy with all her other dress-up clothes.) Given that it had no sleeves, I was grateful we had it early so I could let her wear it outside for a few pictures before it got cold. In fact, you'll see in the pictures below that by the time we had trick-or-treat she needed a turtleneck and coat!
Emily went trick-or-treating with Daddy and our neighbor Jason and his little boy, Jeff. He is two. The kids went all the way down one side of our street (with the help of a little wagon) and up the other. Then they made their way back home. I think they were out about an hour, but both seemed fully satisfied with their candy collection when the returned home. Emily spent the rest of trick or treat helping me pass out candy to the rest of the neighborhood kids. I think the picture below best sums up Emily's trick-or-treat experience this year. I will note that at the time of this writing, most of the candy remains in the black bucket in our pantry.
![]() |
| HALLOWEEN BOUNTY! |


