Annual Building of the Gingerbread House

Saturday, December 12, 2015


We had a full day today of ice skating dress rehearsal, Christmas preparations and wrapping, shopping, a play date and more.  But by the time evening rolled around, it was  all about family time and the annual construction and decoration of the gingerbread house!  Emily could not have been more excited.  She talked about it all day.

I had forgotten that I bought a set of candy decorations last year on clearance so we had those on hand in addition to the pack I bought this year.  I mean who cares, right?  Its not like anyone actually eats candy and the house...


We prepared all of our materials first then got to work on the structure. We are always worried that the roof will slide off, but we managed to get it all in place again this year. Yay!

  

Then it was time for decorations, everyone's favorite part!  Emily's main creative contribution this  year was to break the little candy discs in half to make shutters for the windows.  See pic above with Dan eating candy.  The shutters on the back of the house are the red ones Emily made.  They came out super cute.  She also worked on half of the roof and the pathway to the house.  I stepped up our game a little this year and added 2 mini trees made from another gingerbread kit.  I admit my technique needs work, but it was fun.  Daniel decorated the other half of the roof and outlined it with little candies too.

Everyone had a blast and I think we came out with a great house!  I just love our family fun time.
   
As a post script, what you can't tell from this picture is that it was actually 75 degrees today and while we were building the house our air conditioner came on!  Yes, I made Emily wear the sweater for the pictures.  Don't judge.  :-)